CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Watering Your Trees?

When the Houston heat kills, most of us at work scramble to find a tree to go sit under. The hour passes under its rich foliage, with mouthfuls and giggles, and then we walk away with content to our overly air-conditioned offices. The tree is left alone.

Then Ike arrives and decides she does not like the tree , kills it, brings it down, and leaves. When we return to work, we see the tree is dead, groan and grumble, and find another upright tree to sit under. The dead tree is left alone. And ultimately gotten rid of by some random stranger who never sat under it, ever.

This is what we do with some people, too. We take from them, just like we take from the tree, and leave without saying anything. Yeah...sometimes, we do say thank you, and then quickly forget about what they gave us, assuming that it was our birthright to receive what we did in the first place. We assume that the janitor gets paid for sweeping the floor and needs no acknowledgment. We assume that the auto driver is doing his job when he takes us from place to place safely and yell at him when he asks for a rupee more than what you think it should be. We assume that the maid is supposed to replenish our beauty supplies when out of them and get irritated and have a bad day when she does not.

We take a lot from others. We give them back a lot too but not necessarily what they want. Irritation is not what they asked for. Nor cold looks or admonishment. Sometimes, all that it takes for the tree to flourish is some nourishment. If you think the tree SHOULD give you shade, it is your duty to make sure that the tree remains capable of doing so.

Go and thank someone today who made your day once upon a time. Go and thank someone today who made your life easier once upon a time. Go and thank someone from who you learned a valuable life lesson.

Go water your tree today.

90 Words of Wisdom:

Neetal said...

Very truly said. =) makes me think of few nice people around me... =)

nice post !

Pavi!!!! said...

yes..it ain't rite to take anyone or anything for granted. Its essential to be Thankful for wat we have n nurture it...

I've noticed when someone appreciates me i feel like doing better n being nicer. even at work..when my Mgr says good job..i could work additional hrs w/o whining much.It just comes naturally..

Rho Tau GWIS said...

A very thoughtful post Solitaire!

ceedy said...

Nice post.

It makes a big difference when you notice someone and complement them for their efforts...see it and feel it on daily basis.

And since it about being thankful I would like to thank three people here -

You - for this great writeups and the Short and Sweet forum - made many a mundane days contemplative and cheerful specially when I needed it the most. Keep up the good work and Thanks!

Pavi - For her unbiased discussions and inputs that made me realize many things that I was unaware of and I think made a difference to the way I look at certain aspects. Thanks!

Ankur - For being the person who he is - we share an online friendship that is almost like real brothers. I owe you a big treat. :)

And lastly to anyone and everyone I interact with - thank you all for bearing me :)

Keshi said...

WOW a really powerful post here Sol! LOVED IT.


**Go and thank someone today who made your day once upon a time. Go and thank someone today who made your life easier once upon a time. Go and thank someone from who you learned a valuable life lesson.


That says it all in few words. We often forget the GOOD that ppl did/do to us. Cos we humans easily FORGET and think that we DESERVED the help/goodness that we received long time ago. When new things come along, we often forget that old 'tree' we sat under for some 'shade'.


I take this opportunity to THANK u too Sol. There were some awful days when one of ur posts or comments made my day, made me smile and made me feel like I cud live again. so yes THANK YOU, from the bottom of my heart!

Now Im off to THANK some others, thanks to this post of ur's. Kudos to ya girl! :)


Keshi.

Southpaw unplugged said...

I thank you for putting up something like this.

Neo said...

we spend most our times whining on our loved ones or those who help us the most. though we do understand the value of those who give; we often forget their importance.

your post will always remind me
great post :)

This is life said...

hey sneha,
thnks for visitng, well i do check on your blogs here and there esp this one(psychobabble)...hope things are getting better in houston.
Keep writing, loved the last lines!!!
"Go and thank somebody who made your day once upon a time'....simply superb.....will visit often....tk cr.
regards
aqua gurl

Hemanth Potluri said...

sneh

awesome it made think off all the people who helped me to be in this position..:)...and yes

***
Go and thank someone today who made your day once upon a time. Go and thank someone today who made your life easier once upon a time. Go and thank someone from who you learned a valuable life lesson.


one such person wud be our mom...and she always desreves to be thanked and i wud definitely go and thnk the person responsible ..u reminded me of very old frnds shena ..thnks a lot buddy...keep rockin :)..

urs..hemu..

Tuhin said...

profound! did you water your trees?

DreamCatcher said...

thank u ma'm for such a lovly post!!

Lena said...

thats a beautiful post. Too often we take things and people for granted and act selfish. Somehow we forget things that really matter.
I hope your post reminds many of it :)

Romila said...

Thoughtful post! I am going to water the tress outside my house today. I am going to thank my maid for sweeping and swabbing my house clean every single day.

Thank you too for reminding all of us to sit up and notice the people arnd us with gratitude.

Junius said...

thanks!
but cant tell why :D!!

Jack said...

Solitaire,

Absolutely right. Start with some persons whom you always take for granted - Parents, Siblings specially elder ones, Spouse, Children, Close Relatives specially Grandparents, Friends, Co-workers in office specially those subordinate to you and the list goes on. Think how often have you thanked them for what they do for you.

Take care

Utopia said...

ingratitude runs deep in us. doesn't it? the easiest is to forget. wish we didn't.

Gauri said...

How true !!

And it is amazing, is it not, that it takes so little - sometimes just as little as a genuine heartfelt smile - to make another person's day.

Even animals respond with warmth and affection with the people who nurture and take care of them. Humans to humans, sadly enough, are a different story.

Reminds me of the time I came across the Free Hugs campaign and it had impacted me tremendously. And the song "All the same" by Sick Puppies ... very touching and absolutely awesome.

Hiren said...

couldnt agree more ... and to the trees too, nothing would be more satisfying than getting watered by the people to whom they have given so much and that too selflessly ...


** We take a lot from others. We give them back a lot too but not necessarily what they want.
To add to this, more often than not ... we take from some (also take them for granted) and go out of the way to give to others (who woudlnt deserve) ... i have seen a lot many times ... people dont realize the importance of the things they have got ... dont acknowledge the people they should ...

Anurag said...

That's so True .....Very Few will go Ahead and put up a post like this ......
Kudos !!!

IncorrigibleV said...

very nice post... and i shall start by saying thank you to u sol for all the times that uve unknowingly made me smile :)

Shachi said...

powerful post - makes you think and reflect!

the last few lines sum is up superb!

Thank you :)

AmitL said...

Lovely simile,Sol-a tree v/s us.Yes,we do tend to take so many people in life for granted-right from school teachers to the auto/taxi driver to the grocery counter salespersons...I mean,a lil courtesy with all of them never hurts!It makes me,at least feel nice,if I say 'Thank you' to them,even the taxi-driver.And,I usually see a smile on their faces,when I do.I'll never understand why many feel that the opposite person is obliged by just being able to deal with us!!!
---
I always remember to thank people who've helped me reach where I am today.And,on a daily basis,I thank God every morn when saying my prayers.More than anything,it brings a kind of serenity to the mind.
Tks!!

Vinz said...

thoughtful write up..

i realized this very important fact of life much earlier..

and i believe, nothing can be more peace-rendering act in our life...

:)

Ankur said...

Yeah i think u have very rightly put up the last few lines. We get so busy in our lives that we forget that what simply thanks and sorry means!!!
Though we say there is no sorry n thanks in frndship yet its very important to say those in frndship too!!! :)

Life is pretty small... woh kehte hai na... "kal who na ho..."!!!
So its better to do few things today than to leave it on tomorrow!!! :)

nice post!!! :)
and as u said... i liked it!!! :)

Cheers!!

Ankur said...

@Ceedy

bhai... i m waiting for that treat!! ;)
:D

Cheers!!

SMM said...

So true Sol. I have a habit (drummed into me from a very young age - that no person is your slave. They are doing honest work and earning money to support themselves and their family. So don't ever be rude to them) of thanking my clersk, office boys, autowallas, taxiwallas, etc... which initially a lot of people found funny, but now just accept it. Sometimes the sutowallas and taxiwallas themselves get surprised when I thank them

~Moo-lah Buz!nezzz~ said...

very profound.
Its strange how the aftermath of natural calamities touch our lives.

Gunjan Aylawadi said...

wow!!
i loved dat post!!
im sure gonna thank a lotta ppl today!
n also thank u fo posting this one:)

Scattered Thoughts... said...

Hey.. quite a nice read after such a long time.. Till the first paragraph, I was wondering what is the point you are trying to explain but loved the way how you turned to people from trees.

ancientmariner said...

I have been grappling with this off late...of people being thankless for the lil things that I do for them..( not that I expect any) but an acknowledgment would have done me a world of good...but naay...as with 'thank you' its also important to say 'sorry' if you think you have hurt someone in the course of ur life..ur friends, relatives, colleagues , people you interact with...i had written briefly about this in may 2008(archives on my blog)..

Preethi said...

nice post.. God is taking care of the watering here today.. incessant rains since morning

RiĆ  said...

well said! i always thank ppl who matter to me and mean a lot to me.

Pavi!!!! said...

@Ceedy : oh! ur welcome!That was very nice of u!
I've enjoyed the discussions we've had as well...n many of 'em have been on this very blog. Mabbe its time we requested sol to write a post that triggers an interesting discussion :)

Diana Sahu said...

This is indeed a valuable lesson in life.

Mel Avila Alarilla said...

Smile always and give compliment instead of complaining. It will not hurt to smile to everybody you meet and when they smile back at you, you feel that feeling of euphoria deep down inside. Then your world starts to look and feel good. Thanks for the post. God bless.

Anu said...

Well.. you got me to water my plants today..And I think its a duty also to say thank you for even the simplest things.. what you give out will be what you receive!

alok said...

A truly profound post that gives a great insight to explore the ways to live life…

Life is so small to live for everything, but the last few lines of your post made it so big to die for :)

Thank you!

Sparkling said...

Beautiful post Sol :)

And thank you for writing it.

Macadamia The Nut said...

I'm BIG on Thank Yous. But every time I thank someone, or tell someone how much I appreciate what they're doing for us they et bashful
:( Go figure

P.S. How do I follow this blog?

Vishesh said...

peace..

aMus said...

how true!!!

i always make it a point to acknowledge those who help me...the cab fellow who leaves me at my door...the cashier who patiently does her boring job very day with a smile...there are so many if you look around...

lovely post and a much needed one...

Thank you...:)

Chaggoholic.... said...

Hey awesome post on the while gratitude part.Sure important thing to be grateful if not reciprocative....

Jani said...

"We assume that the janitor gets paid for sweeping the floor and needs no acknowledgment" - Totally agree. A munnabhai MBBS approach is must here. Just pay is not adequate.

mohak mehta said...

Loved the post.. Have been out of touch with internet for some time so haven't been checking the blogs. But whenever i do, i make it a point 2 look up a couple of blogs.. Ur's being d first 1. And i am never disappointed.. This in particular had a feel.good factor abt it.
Also Send me am invite 2 other blogs.. I tried 2 logon bt didn't work..

Akshay said...

I need to circulate this around in my office ..... hopefully people will stop complaining..... nice one....

Solitaire said...

@ Akshay,

Let me know how the response was. Am curious. :)

Thanks!

Solitaire said...

@ Mohak,

Thanks!! Am flattered.
The locked blogs are locked for all. Will open them up when the time arrives.

See ya around!

Solitaire said...

@ Jani,

Yeah!! Are we doing anything about it?

Solitaire said...

@ Chaggoholic,

Thanks!!

I think showing the gratitude is the key!

Solitaire said...

@ Suma,

You are welcome! :)

You have a good heart.

Solitaire said...

@ Vishesh,

?

Solitaire said...

@ Macadamia,

I don't really understanding the "following" feature on blogger. So I cannot help you. Sorry!!

Anyway, if people get bashful, so be it. You do your duty and forget about it!

Solitaire said...

@ Still thinking,

Thank you!

Solitaire said...

@ Alok,

Reallllllly?

Thanks!

Solitaire said...

@ Anu,

Hehe!

I think people forget this duty real quickly because there are no negative consequences for doing so!

Solitaire said...

@ Mel,

True. As we sow, so shall we reap.

If we are grouchy, that's what we get from others!

Solitaire said...

@ Mel,

True. As we sow, so shall we reap.

If we are grouchy, that's what we get from others!

Solitaire said...

@ Diana,

Indeed!

Solitaire said...

@ Ria,

Good going!

Solitaire said...

@ Preethi,

Haha!! God is great!

Solitaire said...

@ Ancient,

True! I think there are some important essentials to maintaining any relationship. Gratitude as well as apologies are two of them. I wish people did not live their life as if they are entitled to treat others any way they wish to.

Solitaire said...

@ Scattered,

Thank you!! My mind is quite volatile. It jumps from thought to thought. Sometimes, I just start writing and don't even know what the post is going to turn out to be.

Solitaire said...

@ Gunj,

You are welcome! :)

Did you thank all those people?

Solitaire said...

@ Moo-lah,

It does. How lasting is the effect, only time can tell.

Solitaire said...

@ SMM,

Thanks!! I think we did discuss this in your blog, didn't we? Thank you comes so easily to those in the West. I wonder if those thank yous are genuine or polite. I guess it may be a little bit of both but nevertheless, I really appreciate it when someone says thank you to me. I wish and hope that those values get ingrained in all the people all over the world.

Solitaire said...

@ Ankur,

Thanks!! :)

No sorry no thank you in dosti is only a hindi movie dialogue. Real life mein I think it is very important even when the other person is not expecting it.

Solitaire said...

@ Vinz,

Thank you!

Solitaire said...

@ Neeku,

Thanks!! Did you thank those nice people?

Solitaire said...

@ Pavi,

It feels great doesn't it? How many times do we reciprocate?

Solitaire said...

@ CG,

Thanks!

Solitaire said...

@ Ceedy,

Thank you!

**You - for this great writeups and the Short and Sweet forum - made many a mundane days contemplative and cheerful specially when I needed it the most. Keep up the good work and Thanks!

The feeling is mutual. If it were not for the readers and their enthusiasm, these blogs would not have existed.

Solitaire said...

@ Keshi,

Thank you!

**Cos we humans easily FORGET and think that we DESERVED the help/goodness that we received long time ago.

Yes, a lot of people think they are entitled to what they receive.

***so yes THANK YOU, from the bottom of my heart!

You are most welcome!

Solitaire said...

@ southpaw,

You are welcome!

Solitaire said...

@ Neo,

Thanks!!

You might enjoy the current post that is up too!

Solitaire said...

@ Aqua,

Thanks!! Things are getting better here. How are you doing?

Solitaire said...

@ Hemu,

Did you thank your mom then? Am glad you liked the post!

Solitaire said...

@ Tuhin,

Thanks!!

No I have not yet watered my trees. I am busy filling up my well with water first.

Solitaire said...

@ Dreamcatcher,

Thank you!

Solitaire said...

@ Lena,

I hope so too!

Thanks!

Solitaire said...

@ Romila,

Today and always, ok?

Solitaire said...

@ Endevourme,

You are welcome.

Now tell me why!

Solitaire said...

@ Shachi,

Thank YOU!!

Solitaire said...

@ Vandita,

Awww! You are most welcome.

But I am sorry that the laptop thing did not work out. :(

Solitaire said...

@ Jack,

You are right! We not only sometimes forget to thank them but we also torment them for no reason! That's what my current post is about.

Solitaire said...

@ Utopia,

Does it run deep within everyone of us?

Solitaire said...

@ anurag,

Thanks!

Solitaire said...

@ Hiren,

May you be watered over and over again. :)

Did you read my current post? It talks about how we take loved ones for granted.

Solitaire said...

@ Gauri,

What is the "Free Hugs" campaign?
Sounds interesting!

I think the human touch is so useful. That is why pet therapy helps for those who are lonely. And yes, smiles are so contagious. So are thank yous. They make our day.

Solitaire said...

@ Amit,

I don't understand that too! It almost seems like we are taught to not accept thank yous and not say thank yous just because everyone is our very close friend, which is not true!

Good for you that you already have the habit of saying thank you!

Sameera Ansari said...

Nice post!I do water my trees regularly :)