CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, January 3, 2008

Switch the channel please!!

Are you one of those people who is unable to watch one TV channel for hours?
Are you one of them who is tempted to switch channels when a commercial comes through, often forgetting to go back to the original program?
Are you one of those who has to watch two programs at one time because both are your favorite and you cannot miss one for the other?
Are you one of those people who feels handicapped when the remote control is missing?

If you answered no to all the questions above, then are you one of those people who feel mighty irritated at those who do the above??

Well, don't be. Think about this. Don't we all sometimes wish that someone talking to us would just shut up like a droning professor or a snappy boss? Sometimes, we often wish that the person talking changes their topic of discussion such as a nagging wife who wont stop talking about how you left the toilet seat up or an angry mother who is displeased with the time you came home. Wouldn't a remote control work wonders in this case? Play, pause, lower volume, and switch channels as you please!!

And then taking it up to a deeper level..don't we often wish that we could just get rid of some people who came into our lives but are completely useless to us? Easier said than done! But if we had a remote, just like the couch potato, we could have switched on to a better person, and forgotten about what we were wasting our time on, in a jiffy!

Yesterday, I found new respect (for lack of a better word) for channel switchers. They are able to forget quickly, move on quickly, not live in the past, not worry about the future, and get rid of whoever or whatever they think is a waste of time! Wish I could do that...

Now will someone switch the channel of my life please? I am bored!


42 Words of Wisdom:

Impressionist said...

Well, I hardly watch TV! :D
and yes, when i watch TV i keep changing channels & my sister gets irritated everytime! :D
But i'm still bored with my life, I wish i could change it too! :D

-Jeevy

divya said...

I CALL THAT THE OUT OF SIGHT -OUT OF MIND PERSONALITY AND I CAN'T DEAL WITH THAT...

Solitaire said...

@ Jeevy..heard that about a lot of men!!:D

@ Divya..I can't do that either but I wish I could!!

Unknown said...

I barely watch TV...
agree with Divya.. so true... I do this when I am bored, 'blogging'!! It helps!! I'm sure it helps you as well... nice post.. cheers! :)

divya said...

we are special because we can't ..don't change

A said...

how about MTV for a change? Roadies are about to start...yippiieee!

yeah true..., but I do switch, pause, swtich off and turn on the TV of my life at times, though not always...

annie said...

*Drums* nice post. But u known surprisingly, i would answer a yeas to almost all ur questions but in da end still say am far far away from the kinda description u gave in da end of such ppl.I just can't switch ppl in my life so easily..i find that so heartbreaking n selfish!!

-this pic of urs looks quite diffrnt from the previous one

Sreerama said...

i do it all the time... :D
and u can do the same to ur life too... jus need to find the remote though.. fr me its food :P n the black out is taken care by woek!! :P

ceedy said...

hehe - i am not much of a TV person - have the channels i like saved as favorites - but i do like the concept

the only problem is one click to get rid of someone and the you need to recharge those batteries all over again (hope you get what i mean)

Mansi Trivedi said...

Good metaphor and very true!

KP said...

At times..I wish I can change the channel of my life....;) but thats not right isnt it? To Appriciate the good....you have to experience the other side!!

Preethi said...

The ones who don't flip channels can commit easily. the fickle minded ones change channels. I do both depending on the program. The trick is to know which one to watch and which one to skip. It applies to all levels. as to shutting ppl off i do it easily, looking straight at their eyes with my mind elsewhere. Practice will make thou perfect ;)

Deepali said...

I would loveeeeeeee a remote that controlled people around - lol some would just be on mute.

Btw I do surf a lot during commercial much to the irritation of people watching tv with me - but what the hell - I'd rather listen to some music than watch an ad.

badshah khan said...

well I hardly watch TV these days but yes i do get irritated if abt 5 of them are watching and somebody switches the channel without the opinion of the others ....anyway u need to watch the movie "click" which seems the inspiration for this blog ...

maverick said...

well..havnt seen tv for 3 months now..but i m the kinda guy who actually can forget abt the crap thats coming on.switch on to a better channel..n watch something..i mean i cant take the K serials..at all..i ld rather watch hbo,star movies,star world,mtv etc...

somehow i believe the analogy was a lil too simple...but i gues thts ok...

cheers!! :)

Lena said...

you know 3 years ago i would have answered "yes" to all of them. Now i say "no" though the post was not exactly about tv, was it?

sometimes it is in life like "Stop the Earth, I want to leave", but nobody can do this. Your life is your life with all the negatives. And no matter how much we want to switch channels we cant and we also shouldnt because all these negative aspects are our experience ;)
and the ones who are able to forget quickly, to move on, not to regret - well, we dont know what is going on with them, right? Maybe they also want to switch channels, just in a different way...

Solitaire said...

@ hammett, will blogging help get rid of the unwanted things in my life?...i hope it does!

@ divya..i feel better for the first time today! :)

@ anjuli..i try to do that but there is no escaping reality.

@ annie, ..like the guy who switches channels even though others are watching the program he does not want to? That would be selfish!

Solitaire said...

@ sreerama, where did you find your remote? My buttons are not working!

@ ceedy, you are right! never thought that the batteries would need recharging. I guess this post originated cos my batteries are not working right now!!

@ Mansi, thanks!

@ KP, yes! But sometimes the commercials stay on too much giving me the temptation to buy when in reality, my life is all about the soap!! Get what I mean?

Unknown said...

It wouldn't do that.. It could help u ignore the unwanted noise in ur life.. I need that remote. where is it? hehe.. :D

Solitaire said...

@ Preethi, in the online world, so may people are omnipresent but unable to get rid of. Will practice!!

@ Deepali, you thinking just like me!

@ Badshah, will do. I have not seen the movie yet.

@ Maverick, how do you use the remote control of your life?

Solitaire said...

@ lena, hmmm..never thought about what those channel switchers are thinking about..maybe they wish to be like us..grounded somewhere..interesting!

maverick said...

well..my life's not remote controlled...so dont face that problem :)

Anonymous said...

i am exactly what you define in the first para!

and did you see th movie "Click" starring Adam Sandler? It is something about a Universal remote he gets in his hand.. he can pause, forward, volume up and down etc and even skip over sme parts of his life...
It is an OK movie but the ending is good!

someone read your blog and made it into a movie ;D :B

Gunjan Aylawadi said...

cool analogy u drew thr!
a remote really is useful!

strollinthunder said...

Its so true. I watch so many movies simultaneously that I end up mixing characters from all of them.

Just like Veens said the movie Click reflects the second half of the blog.
'fast forward all nagging people'.

In to a 'deeper level'..I feel its better to put up with people(a challenge in itself) than making them vanish :-)

KP said...

why do u think grass is greener on the other side?

what if its not what u really see....as i mentioned in my post.....

IncorrigibleV said...

i might be a channel switcher when it comes to tv, actually i used to be i hardly watch TV now...but as far as life is concerned...i know what ure talkin abt and im like u i too find it pretty hard to switch emotions, forget and move on!
innovative analogy!

Solitaire said...

@ maverick, neither mine but I want it to be...boo hoo!

@ Veens, I need to watch this movie now. You are the second person mentioning this!

@ Gunj, do you know where I can find it?

@ Strollinthunder, handling such people is taking a toll on me now.

@ KP, dont we all always think the grass is greener on the other side. Human nature!

@ Vandita, thank you!!

Pavi!!!! said...

Well..Well...If only it was so easy to switch channels in life..as it is on TV...Life would be one piece of Cake...won't it?

nik said...

being a former avid TV watcher (my mom believes that there was divine intervention to attribute the fact that TV became popular in india the same year that i was born), i will confess to being a channel switcher as well. I would attribute part of this to the low standards of the commercials that are aired. Particularly in india, i think that the ads in US are more creative and watchable (with the obvious exceptions of car salesman ads). The super bowl is a perfect example of how advertisements can capture the imagination of its viewers (i'm sure i'm not the only one who watches the super bowl for the innovative ads as opposed to the sport).

having taken liberty in digressing, i come back to the topic on hand. The concept of a remote control for life is neat and i have often wished for such ability, till i saw the movie click and how it is best if "remote controls for life" come with limited battery life.

Cinderella said...

Hmm...I do that all the time...
Heck, that is why a thousand channels and remote controls are for..isnt it ?
I'd seen a movie in this topic sometime back,Cant recall the name though. The protagonist there gets a remote where he can switch his life according to his own will !!

Cheer up girl...try books. They always help, and you will never feel the urge to switch pages..
:)

WritingsForLife said...

i answered all of the questions YES :-)
i dont know where i stand with this now...hehe
but you are right, we need to change channels, if not always then at least once in a while.

this post reminded me of the movie CLICK. Ever watched it? :-)
Cheers!

Junius said...

hehe :D!

durjoy datta said...

remote for life?
havnt you seen Click!
it's exactly about that!
how adam sandler life changes when he gets a remote control to alter his life!
do watch!

Sreerama said...

hmm... am very rudimentary... stay an absolute immature kid at heart... i guess ppl who think they are mature for their age don ve fun... start noticing the simple pleasures in life.. those are your primary buttons..*grin*

kyamaloom said...

Use to be a BIG time TV buff, but now its all flushed. :D

Life's remote is in YOUR hand.
So you need to change it till the one which YOU want.

Go ahead, its waiting... since co long.:)))

kyamaloom said...

And ya.. Do try n watch "Click" {Adam Sandler}. Wonderfully describes controlling LIFE with clicks. :D

radiohead said...

ofcourse .. wht kinda channel you want to b .. like discovery (if u wish to b discovered) ..star (like u wanna b a star .. bt defntly nt a soap star ..sahu bahu n all ..ykks) ..

well its fun switchin channels at times .. it wud have been wonders if i had this remote to fill d couch in frnt of me wid ppl i wud love to have on tht couch .. hehe .. talkin n all ..

watch d tv n be a channel switcher urself .. u aint be bored again :D

cheese

maverick said...

@solitaire..lol..i like mine the way it is..ha ha ha...btw updated my blog :)

Solitaire said...

@ pavi, i want to have my cake and eat it too!!

@ nik, I love Super-Bowl commercials too!! Anyway, I have to watch this movie now..everyone is talking about it!!

@ Cinderella, aaahh books! Graduate school does not allow any time for that...

Solitaire said...

@ raaji, sadly not watched click yet!

@ endevourme. :)

@ durjoy, i have to and will do!

@ sreerama, you think I dont notice the simple pleasures in life. Then you have not read my blog, "Warm Fuzzies".

Solitaire said...

@ Rohit, sometimes fellow watchers dont allow you to change the channel, just like people in your life often dont allow you to make certain decisions..

@ anuj...hmmmm, I would like to be the "American Idol". LOL!